Thursday, March 12, 2009

Small Prayers

Prayers I have prayed while in Uganda:

Lord, please don’t let this bus tip over.

Please don’t let that lady with the live chicken in her hands sit next to me for the four hour taxi ride.

Please don’t let the car get stuck in this 3-foot deep mud hole.

Please don’t let me get schistosomiasis while swimming in the Nile.

Please don’t let me get aspiration pneumonia from Nile River water.

Thank You for hot water.

Thank You for food.

Thank You for bringing me here.

I pray that I might be of use to You and serve You today.

Please help me to be kind, compassionate, humble and patient today.

Please have mercy and don’t let this patient die.

I pray for those who have lost loved ones, that they might be surrounded by Your comfort and love, and filled with Your peace.

Thank You for the kindness and overwhelming generosity of Ugandans who have so little.

1 comment:

Esquire of the mountain said...

as a Ugandan albeit not living home..i laugh and cry at the same time when i read your stories..i always tell people; home is where ancient meets modern; the good meets the bad (and the ugly)...
have fun and keep praying..the prayers have only started;
i am surprised though not to have seen the one about;
Lord please let the taxi driver skillfully maneuver around that pothole and not have us land in it..like a sack of potatoes